|Denstone College was founded by Canon Nathaniel Woodard in 1868 and was incorporated in 2004. The Charity is a Limited Company and wholly owned subsidiary of the Woodard Corporation. The Governors are the Directors of the Company and are elected to hold office for 5 years initially, with 5 yearly renewals thereafter. The College is governed by the Governing Body which operates using a number of Committees and meets as a Full Board at least 3 times a year. Many of its members are ODs or have children who are ODs or currently in school.
The day to day management of the Company is delegated to the Head and Bursar, supported by the Senior Management Team.
The Governing Body looks to ensure a mix of skills, background and competence and their details are as follows:
- Kevin Threlfall, Chairman of the Board (Custos) appointed 2008. Member of Finance, Marketing and Remuneration Committees, Development Chairman on behalf of Foundation and, as Custos, an ex-officio member of all Governor Committees. Founder and Chairman of T & S Stores Plc, sold to Tesco in 2003. Served on the Board of Birchfield Prep School for 10 years, last 3 as Chairman. Former director of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC. Old Denstonian. Keen sportsman and enjoys travel.
- Emily Bell (MA, Oxon), appointed 2016. Solicitor specialising in employment law (non practising). Chair of Personnel Committee. Enjoys family life, reading, yoga, outdoor pursuits.
- David Brown ACA, appointed 2013. Chair of Finance Committee. Chartered Accountant with large practice and industrial experience, currently serving as Director of Group Finance at JCB. Enjoys sport, especially rugby coaching, travel and reading.
- Simon Cash (BSc, MRICS) appointed 2001. Chair of Premises and Health & Safety Committees. Chartered Surveyor. Property Consultant with own business. Second generation Old Denstonian. Enjoys shooting, walking and watching sport.
- Malcolm Coffin (MA, Cantab), appointed 2016. Private equity investor and formerly investment banking. Member of the Finance and Marketing Committees. Old Denstonian. Enjoys sport in all its guises and family life.
- Andrew Coley appointed 2003. Member of Premises Committee. Quantity Surveyor / Business Manager, Partner of Ainsley and Partners. Old Denstonian. Member of MCC, sportsman and theatre enthusiast.
- Jane Dickson, appointed October 2014. Senior Occupational Therapist specialising in palliative care in the community. Interests include Gardening, Rugby, Cricket and Walking.
- Emma Evans (BA Hons), appointed 2016. Old Denstonian. Partner of Denstone Hall Farm Shop & Café. Enjoys spending time with her children, skiing, food and cycling.
- Barrie Hinton (MBA, FCIPD, MCIM) appointed 2012. Member of Education, Marketing, Personnel, IT & Remuneration Committees. Formerly Director of HR with an international brewing company, Open University Business School tutor and executive search consultant. Graduate Coach and Corporate Executive Coach. Mentor for The Aspire Foundation’s ‘Making a Difference’ programme for women working in charities and social enterprises around the world. Interests include motor sport, cricket, fly-fishing, ballet and music.
- Chris Lewis appointed 2010. Member of the Finance and Marketing Committees. Director of Denstone College Enterprises Ltd. Partner of the Lewis Partnership, Board member of a number of educational charities. Enjoys skiing, walking, food and wine.
- Barbara McNally-Young appointed 2015. Chair of IT Committee. Systems, IT & Network Strategy Manager at BT, specialising in technical product introduction. Enjoys music, travel and rugby.
- Nigel T. Ratcliffe B.Pharm, Ph.D, DMS, FRPharmS, FRSB, CBiol, SFHEA, FTOPRA, MCMI. Appointed 2017. Member of the Education Committee. Professor of Pharmacy and Head of School, Keele University. Currently Chairman of The Universities UK, Heads of Pharmacy Schools Council and is the academic member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of GB Governance Assembly. Previous Chairman of Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent NHS Community Trust and Chairman of the Nursing and Midwifery Appointments Board. Retired from AstraZeneca in 2001 as a Global VP of Business Strategy and Development and of the Global Regulatory Affairs Executive. Two children educated at Denstone, one now reading Veterinary Medicine and one Pharmacy. Enjoys cycling, hill walking, skiing and family life.
If you would like to contact any of the governors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Chair of Governors, Denstone College, Uttoxeter ST14 5HN