Drama at Denstone is both vibrant and dynamic, playing a central role in the whole school ethos. It aims to involve each and every student who passes through the school in some aspect of theatre, recognising that this may not necessarily be on the stage. Our Drama teachers are inspirational and experienced, and we believe the study of drama promotes social, presentation and communication skills as well as engendering a lifelong love of the Arts and the stage.

In the First to Third Forms, students enjoy drama as an important element of their weekly curriculum. As pupils reach the end of the Third Form, those who have a passion for the subject have the opportunity to study drama from a more academic perspective.

This popular curriculum area gains consistently high grades at GCSE year on year. Students engage in an interesting but demanding course of examined and practical work. Throughout the programme of study, students present their practical work to enthusiastic audiences in the School Room. This not only gives the candidates important practical experience but provides the audience with an insight into the innovative work that the department undertakes.

At A level, Drama and Theatre is a dynamic curriculum area which is academically challenging. Students learn through experience, seeing theatre and making theatre for themselves. They are introduced to a wide range of theatrical styles and contexts as they explore plays practically, devise and work on performances. 30% of the course is based on practical aspects of drama whilst the remaining 70% is written. The devised practical examination piece is presented to an evening audience in the Lent Term of Year 1. The moderator comes in to mark the final scripted piece in the Lent Term of Year 2. (Script 1 is performed in the Summer Term of Year 1 and Script 2 in the Autumn Term of Year 2.) Drama and Theatre Studies Results are excellent and in 2018, 100% of our students at A’level achieved Grade A.

There is a wide and varied programme of Enrichment:

  • There are many opportunities for extra-curricular involvement in our many productions. Further details can be found on our extra curricular drama page.
  • Regular Theatre Visits
  • Practical Drama Workshops

Further subject information can be found in the relevant school curriculum document on the Curriculum page.